August 17, 2008

Comping a meal

So I've been going to this restaurant for 13 years now. Since January 1 of 2008, I've gone 71 times. My check isn't that much about $11 before tip. However, 2 times a month I take a friend to lunch there and the check is $30 - $35 before tip. I have yet to be comped anything this year. In past years, my meal was comped about every 10 - 12 visits and on most visits my drink wasn't put on the bill, saving me $2 every time although costing them about 10 cents. A small price to pay for good will. Here's the deal. I can spend my $11 - 12 anywhere. I go to this particular restaurant because of the service and food. The service has been dropping off over the last couple years as long time employees have quit and the new servers just don't have the same personalities. The food has also been better in past years. Three times this year alone I've been served rancid Mandarin Oranges as a side dish. Yum. It's sad to watch an established place flounder about. I'm friends with the general manager, all the managers and some of the staff, although not as many as in the past. I bring some of them home made cookies on their birthdays and each manager gets a $25 gift card for Christmas. It's interesting how little the good will I show them translates into the good will they show me. I guess it's time I take my $11, fresh baked cookies and Christmas gift cards to another establishment that will appreciate my patronage.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Although your loyality is admirable nothing should every be expected.
If you don't feel the love reduce how often you visit. Money talks.

Hopefully they will notice your loyalty and if not "ces la vie"!!

"Always show the love!!!!
Movie-man Sandy.

InVinoVeritas said...

stop going, crybaby.