October 20, 2008

Waiter, can I get a clothespin for my nose?

I know people smoke. I grew up in a family where one parent smoked. I know the smell and maybe I'm a little sensitive to it, but there is no excuse to smell smoke on someone who works with the public. As a society, we're not in love with body odor, we complain about it on airplanes, in offices and anywhere we encounter the smell of body odor and we can't get away from it. Well, the smell of tobacco smoke on someones clothing or their breath is the same thing. There probably aren't a whole lot of people who love waking up after a night out and rubbing the clothes they wore the night before all over themselves. It's gross. That stale smell is gross. Sorry to all the smokers out there but I know there are considerate smokers who realize the smell and do what they can to minimize it and I appreciate it. However, those who don't. You STINK. And when I'm out at a restaurant, I DON'T want to smell you and I don't want to smell stale tobacco smoke. Yuk. There are few things that can turn me off more than that smell. It's just gross. The smell of cooking can be wonderful. Fresh baked bread, fresh brewed coffee the smell of bbq or grilling meats. When you walk into a restaurant and smell those things, your mouth starts salivating and you can't wait to eat. That's the way it should be. It shouldn't be overtaken by the smell of a server when they approach your table to take your order. If you smoke use breath spray and Febreze your clothes. The amount you get tipped could very well be affected by your personal odor and how the customer reacts to it.

No comments: